image: from my journal
October’s quotes have all been around the theme of following our dreams, our joy.
Of fulfilling our potential and not dumbing ourselves down through any sense of false modesty or fear of criticism.
Below…you’ll find all of the quotes from October along with some
to get you thinking and your Journaling Juices flowing…
I hope you enjoy…
There are a lot of thoughts, suggestions, questions, prompts in here….all my rambling ideas collected together
Maybe just pick one!
The one that stands out to you, to work with in your own Journal
The untold want by life and land ne’er granted,
Now voyager sail though forth to seek and find.
Walt Whitman (Leaves of Grass no.289)
We started off this months quotes with one that is very dear to my heart. This quote is from Walt Whitman’s poetry collection in his book ‘Leaves of Grass’. It is perhaps so well known because it was used in the epic film staring Bette Davies, one of my all time favourite actors, Now Voyager.
I really can’t remember exactly when I first saw this film but it was many years ago and I have subsequently watched it again more times than I can remember. It’s one of my ‘feel good’ movies. I can’t recommend it highly enough if you’ve never seen it.
In the film, following something of a breakdown (which I prefer to think of as a breakthrough) , Charlotte Vale, (Bette Davies) is anxious about setting out, from what has become the security of the nursing home where she has been recovering, to begin a new chapter of her life. Her doctor, Dr Jackworth, reads this quote to her, with the intention of giving her courage to set out and seek the life she has been denied until now. One of independence, to find her own sense of meaning and purpose.
Maybe in your journal you might find it interesting to consider…that phrase ‘The untold want by life and land ne’er granted’.
- How do you respond to this
- Maybe think about responding with found images and words to collage in your journal. This might make it more ‘accessible’ than trying to ‘write’ a response.
- This doesn’t need to make sense to anyone and it might not even make sense to you, right now !
Following your bliss is not self-indigent, but vital;
your whole physical system knows that this is the best way to be alive in this world
and the way to give to the world the very best that you have to offer.
- Does following your ‘joy’ or ‘bliss’ feel selfish ?
- Is there always more ‘important’ stuff to do to before attending to your own needs ?
- What is your idea of ‘joy’ or ‘bliss’ ?
- I feel alive in the world when…?
- write in your own journal about your own bliss, your own joy
- what does it look like?
- search for images, phrases, words and collage them in your journal
- draw, use colour
- write, draw, collage, paint, colour, as much or as little as you like
- keep adding to your pages whenever you like
Week 3 :
No punishment anyone might inflict on us could possibly be worse
than the punishment we inflict on ourselves by conspiring in our own
- All the things I’m amazing at…
- When I stay small in order to make others feel comfortable…
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
- How comfortable does it feel to stay safe but stuck, ‘tight in a bud’ ?
The journey between what you once were and who you are now
becoming is where the dance of life really takes place.
My Journal response to this quote…
‘When we move in the space between what we know & trust & what is comfortable, and the unknown, the risky & what’s uncomfortable, we are existing in a place where we learn the most about ourselves and the world.’
- Write your own response to the quote
It actually doesn’t take much to be considered a difficult woman.
That’s why there are so many of us.
- I am thought to be difficult when I…
- I think others are difficult when…
- I never think of myself as being difficult because…
- Being difficult means…
And finally here’s my mini journal for October…
For this months mini journal, I took a photo of a page from one of my earlier (2017?) wisdom journals, printed it out and it made a great background for the journal. I like the way the texture from the original page comes through in the print. I typed out all the quotes on the amazing vintage electric typewriter which my friends bought me for my birthday this year (thank you !) I used tracing paper which gives a lovely translucent effect and tore the paper with my rather wonderful deckle edge ruler.
( The amazing track you can hear in the background is Damned by Unloved from their Album Guilty of Love)
Seek & find
Follow your bliss
Shine your light
Manifest your dreams
Are you a member of our Facebook Group ?
In the group, I share our weekly quote and usually, to accompany it, I share some of my thoughts, ideas, suggestions. Not all of those make it to here on the website. So, why not join the group to make sure you don’t miss anything
Thanks for reading
Why not leave a comment below
You might want to comment on one particular quote that I’ve used this month or share a particular response to this months theme.